Monday, August 2, 2010

Shell Station Slash Pet Groomers

Been running on empty for about eight days now so I decided it might be time for a "fill 'er up." So I stop at the Shell station on the way home from work.

My family and I have an affinity for nice gas stations. I guess because Hometown is a big truck-stop town and the gas stations are mostly huge and luxurious. And there aren't any "NO LOITERING" signs around. Feel free to loiter your ass off. Alyssa and Kerley will spend twenty to thirty minutes at a nice gas station. Gas, Copenhagen, Slim Jims, lottery ticket, and playing grab-ass at the pump; I've never seen them get along so well as when they are at the station.

Der Kleine familie Kerley...

So needless to say, based on my rearing, I am accustomed to spacious stations; and upon moving to Austin and discovering that most gas stations are small pieces of shit, I try not to spend too much time in any of them.

And here's why: Shell Station #4115 (or whatever) on North Lamar is also moonlighting as a dog washing and grooming store. Or so it would seem, for when I stroll up to the counter to pay for my $26 in gas, the Asian store owners are cleaning a shih tzu in the sink and there's Kibbles and Bits snacks on the counter by the register. But based on the large amount of watermelon rinds on the barstool and laundry scattered around, one might think that Mom and Pop Shell are taking up permanent residence at the gas station.


1 comment: