Saturday, May 26, 2012

Go Bulldogs

When I was a freshman in high school, I was dating the sweetest guy. He always told me I was pretty even when I wasn't, he came over and hung out with me and my family, and he even wanted to kiss me when I had/he gave me mono. He gave me flowers for my birthday and I broke up with him two days later. 


I felt liberated. That Saturday morning, I woke up feeling on top of the freaking world. I called in a breakfast taco to Storm's and when I drove up to the window to pay for it, the guy told me it was on the house. When I returned home and was stuffing face with said taco, a senior football player called our house to talk to me. Not my hot older sister. Me. I was elated. I was free. 


For some reason today I remembered all this and felt that exact same way. Only it was my own dumbass which I was freeing myself of. It takes a jolt sometimes but then you wake up and realize you're a geek, just like your high school boyfriend who ogled you during band practice and pulled out your chair for you and sat at your table during lunch even though it was filled with fourteen year old girls who talked about fly-away cheer skirts and hair options for prom. 


Why is it that people run away from those who desire them? My mother used to joke: "Don't buy any of my daughters roses! She will break your heart." (Incidentally, my sister was dating a lovely young man who got her flowers for her birthday that same year and she broke up with him shortly thereafter, also. And then a few weeks down the road, punched him in the face for dating someone else. Who raised these kids?)


Of course, I wanted to date the big muscly guy who was on the weight-lifting team and was a running back and treated me like doo-doo. He was nice enough sometimes but mostly just called other girls at night and hooked up with my friends behind my back. That was fuuuun. Remember high school?


I eventually got back together with Nice Guy. He continued to worship me and I continued to allow it. We went to Europe on a school trip that summer and he was so far up my butt I would not speak to him for a solid three days. He had all these romantic notions for us in Europe and I could not look him in the face without choking on disgust. And he was my bus partner. I slipped to the back of the bus and hung out with the weird kid for the rest of the trip.


I dated the Weird Kid for four years after high school. 









The Weird Kid. Complete with head injuries and facial discolorations.



Well... Nice Guy was weird too.
My dear friend, Jake.




Kaley and me (lanky one) really working our Doc Martens. And Weight Lifter makes an appearance! (left)




Bryan Parker, top left. Jake, the afro next to him. Weight Lifter, front row second from right.
Many stories here. 
(Photos stolen from Kyle's Facebook. Kyle, front right. Thanks, Kyle.)




Me (lanky, weird, bad hair) and sister (blonde, hot, little mermaid) and dates at prom.



Oh. There she is again. Just so you really get the idea.




Both mine and sister's first car. Jake drove a white '66.



And both of my beautiful sisters. Just being us.









No comments:

Post a Comment