Sunday, May 9, 2010

i'll be there?

i'm what you might call a pleaser, someone who goes out of her way to make people happy, and might happen to make too many promises i can't keep along the way. its a plague, really; to be a peace maker, a people pleaser. it sucks. most days. like this weekend. i had so many things planned for one stinking weekend that i could NOT DO THEM ALL AT ONCE. alyssa says i need a planner. this may be true, since friday i was honestly trying to simultaneously be at an austin city limits taping while being at a housewarming party in san antonio. two very different cities. and all the while trying to see my little sister who was in town at the hyatt across the river.

its hard trying to please everyone. i say, "sure, i would love to do that on wednesday! i'll be there!" then turn around, "wednesday? um... sure! i'd love to make it!"

maura asks me, "why, brynnan? why do you do it? its so easy. just say, 'no, i can't do that, i already have plans. sorry.' " but its too difficult for me to let someone down like that. i actually WANT to do all these things, without causing disappointment for someone else. someone who wants me at their event, or wants to see me and spend time with me. how flattering that people want to be around me! but instead of telling the truth about the matter, i lie and say i can make it, no problem, then get my ass chewed out when i don't make it to where i said i was going.

call me a flake. call me inconsiderate. i call me, a pleaser.

so next time some poor bastard like myself is just trying to please you or someone else and ends up acting whimsy and foolish, remember that he or she is probably just in dire need of a weekly planner. and some gumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment